Thursday, September 20, 2012

First Week of Classes en Français

Today marks my third day of classes at the University of Fribourg!  Classes have been good, though I haven't finalized my schedule yet. Shopping around for classes is fun because they have been super interesting, but it's also a bit stressful because very few history courses here are worth enough ECTS credits to transfer as Tufts credits. It's too bad because ALL the history courses are awesome. I've been  getting so excited about these courses because I think it is fascinating to learn about history from a European perspective and compare it to what I've learned from the American perspective. #historynerd

Un petit truc...all my courses are taught in French. This is definitely going to take some getting used to. So far, I've been able to mostly understand professors, but it definitely helps when they speak up and clearly. Usually I catch about 75%. This has been a little frustrating, but I know my French is improving rapidly so I think I'll get used to it. Tonight I have my first German class at the university - Guten Tag! 

Ben and I just booked flights to London for next weekend! I have no class on Fridays and my only class on Mondays is in the evenings, so traveler lifestyle, here I come! So stoked. 

Last night there were a bunch of back-to-school parties in the Old Town. We met a ton of students, some local and a lot of other exchange students (mostly European). Mad GTs.

The European exchange students are really interesting and awesome. Yesterday I had an intense political discussion with a Latvian girl, a Belgian guy, and a Spanish guy. We talked about the future of the E.U. and the American role in world politics, especially in terms of the pending election and relations with China. It's been so interesting to get global perspectives on these issues. And, of course, there's nothing better than sitting around with other young people discussing real, important, global issues. Tufts would be so proud. #globalcitizen

No comments:

Post a Comment